Dry mouth is a prevalent symptom of Sjögren’s syndrome, as properly as other ailments like diabetes and HIV/AIDS. Without ample saliva, or spit, it can be challenging to crack down food items, swallow, and choose treatment of your enamel.
The Nationwide Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Investigate solutions 5 prevalent thoughts about dry mouth and Sjögren’s syndrome to aid you navigate this difficult ailment.
Is dry mouth a ordinary component of ageing?
No, dry mouth is not component of the ageing procedure by itself. Nonetheless, as people age, many may create circumstances that affect building saliva and they may choose drugs that can dry out the mouth.
What can result in dry mouth?
- Drugs. Dry mouth is a aspect effect of many kinds of drugs, together with all those for depression, allergy symptoms and colds, and significant blood tension.
- Dehydration. Dehydration takes place when you shed extra fluids than you choose in. Individuals of all ages can become dehydrated, but older older people are especially prone to it.
- Radiation remedy. Salivary glands can be weakened if they are uncovered to radiation in the course of most cancers therapy.
- Chemotherapy. Prescription drugs made use of to treat most cancers can make saliva thicker, resulting in the mouth to experience dry.
- Injuries to the head or neck. A head or neck damage can harm the nerves that convey to salivary glands to make saliva.
What can I do about dry mouth?
Pay a visit to your dentist or doctor, who will consider to establish the result in and may:
- Advise changing, or modifying the dosage of, a medication. But do not make any alterations to your drugs right before conversing with your dentist or doctor.
- Prescribe drugs to improve saliva.
- Advise utilizing artificial saliva.
Does dry mouth place me at threat for tooth decay?
Of course. Because saliva guards from tooth decay, acquiring significantly less saliva can place you at threat. Continue to keep your enamel nutritious by:
- Brushing at minimum twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing often.
- Checking out your dentist at minimum twice a 12 months. You can talk to your dentist if you will need a prescription-toughness fluoride gel or rinse to aid avert cavities.
If I have Sjögren’s, what can my dentist recommend?
To shield your enamel, your dentist may recommend:
- Working with fluoride pastes, mouth rinses, gels, foams, or varnishes
- Ingesting satisfactory amounts of h2o (8 to twelve 8-ounce eyeglasses every single day)
- Stimulating saliva production utilizing sugarless lozenges, chewing gums, candies that contains xylitol, or drugs such as pilocarpine and cevimeline
- Making use of chlorhexidine, which can destroy microorganisms
- Working with a calcium phosphate rinse to restore tooth enamel