Prenatal tests: Quick guidebook to common tests
Prenatal screening tests can present information and facts about your baby’s wellbeing just before he or she is born. Take into consideration the timing and what prenatal tests can expose.
By Mayo Clinic Staff members
Prenatal tests is supplied in all pregnancies. Here’s an overview of common prenatal screening tests:
|What it is||When it is really finished||What the final results could inform you||Comply with-up|
|Mobile-no cost DNA (cfDNA) screening|
|Blood test||As early as week 10||Risk of Down syndrome (trisomy 21), trisomy eighteen and trisomy thirteen and fetal sexual intercourse||Possible invasive tests, these kinds of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis|
|1st trimester screening|
|Blood test and ultrasound||11-14 months||Risk of Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and trisomy eighteen||Possible invasive tests, these kinds of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis mobile-no cost DNA screening may also be thought of|
|Quad display screen|
|Blood test||15-22 months||Risk of Down syndrome (trisomy 21), trisomy eighteen and open neural tube problems, these kinds of as spina bifida||Possible targeted ultrasound, or invasive tests these kinds of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis mobile-no cost DNA screening may also be thought of|
Some wellbeing care vendors pick out to merge the final results of to start with trimester screening with the quad display screen — even though you will never learn the remaining final results of this sequential tests right until equally tests are completed and analyzed.
In addition, fetal ultrasound normally plays an essential function in prenatal care and screening. Early in pregnancy, ultrasound can be utilized to validate and date a pregnancy. Afterwards, ultrasound can be utilized to detect specified delivery problems and fetal anomalies, which include neural tube problems.
Blood tests and ultrasounds pose minimal hazards for you and your baby. If the final results of a blood test or ultrasound are constructive or worrisome, your wellbeing care company could propose a far more invasive diagnostic test — these kinds of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis. These tests can be utilized to diagnose ailments, but they have a slight threat of pregnancy reduction.
If you are worried about prenatal tests or speculate no matter if you have to have precise screening or diagnostic tests, focus on the hazards and benefits with your wellbeing care company.Oct. 03, 2020
- Messerlian GM, et al. First trimester mixed test and integrated tests for screening for Down syndrome and trisomy eighteen. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed Dec. 5, 2018.
- Commonly questioned thoughts. Pregnancy FAQ133. Program tests in pregnancy. American College or university of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/Clients/FAQs/Program-Tests-For the duration of-Pregnancy. Accessed Dec. 5, 2018.
- Messerlian GM, et al. Down syndrome: Overview of prenatal screening. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed Dec. 5, 2018.
- American College or university of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Follow Bulletins — Obstetrics, Committee on Genetics, and the Modern society for Maternal-Fetal Medication. Follow Bulletin No. 163: Screening for fetal aneuploidy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016127:e123.
- AskMayoExpert. Prenatal screening: Sorts of screening tests. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Health care Instruction and Investigate 2018.
- Commonly questioned thoughts. Particular strategies FAQ025. Ultrasound tests. American College or university of Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://www.acog.org/Clients/FAQs/Ultrasound-Exams. Accessed Dec. 5, 2018.
See far more In-depth