What comes about during a group B strep check?
If you are pregnant, your overall health treatment provider might get a swab check or a urine check.
For a swab check, you will lie on your again on an examination desk. Your overall health treatment provider will use a
modest cotton swab to take a sample of cells and fluids from your vagina and rectum.
For a urine check, you will most possible be advised to use the “thoroughly clean capture strategy” to make certain your sample is sterile. It includes the following steps.
- Clean your hands.
- Clean up your genital place with a cleaning pad presented to you by your provider. To thoroughly clean, open up your labia and wipe from front to again.
- Start off to urinate into the toilet.
- Go the collection container underneath your urine stream.
- Gather at minimum an ounce or two of urine into the container, which ought to have markings to suggest the quantities.
- Finish urinating into the toilet.
- Return the sample container as instructed by your overall health treatment provider.
If your child demands testing, a provider might do a blood check or a spinal tap.
For a blood check, a overall health treatment qualified will use a modest needle to take a blood sample from your baby’s heel. Following the needle is inserted, a modest volume of blood will be collected into a check tube or vial. Your child might feel a very little sting when the needle goes in or out.
A spinal tap, also identified as a lumbar puncture, is a check that collects and appears at spinal fluid, the distinct liquid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Through the technique:
- A nurse or other overall health treatment provider will hold your child in a curled-up place.
- A overall health treatment provider will thoroughly clean your baby’s again and inject an anesthetic into the pores and skin, so your child would not feel pain during the technique. The provider might place a numbing cream on your baby’s again in advance of this injection.
- The provider might also give your child a sedative and/or pain reliever to assistance him or her far better tolerate the technique.
- When the place on the again is fully numb, your provider will insert a slim, hollow needle amongst two vertebrae in the lower backbone. Vertebrae are the modest backbones that make up the backbone.
- The provider will withdraw a modest volume of cerebrospinal fluid for testing. This will take about five minutes.